Saltalamacchia consoles Papelbon after blowing the Red Sox win last night. (AP Photo)
- With last nights loss to the Orioles the Red Sox can only split with a win tonight. They have not won a series since beating the Oakland A's on August 27th, subsequently - this is also the last time they won back-to-back games. Yes, that's now nearly a month ago.
- During this stretch the Red Sox are
5-17(thanks John!) 6-16 which is "good" for a winning percentage of 0.375
- Erik Bedard is a Red Sox failure. He hasn't been healthy, and could only make it a pathetic 2.2 innings giving up 5 hits and 4 ER while throwing 76 pitches. Our Starting pitching is in shambles, and as much as anyone in Boston would hate to admit it, we miss Dice-K, and obviously Buchholz.
- Losing - much like hitting, appears to be as contagious as the flu, and psychologically the Red Sox are in their own heads now. Paps said all the right things after the game, and he's been awesome this year, just a tough time to blow your second game of the season.
- Terry Francona needs to get thrown out of a game. I know it sounds silly, and there's no numbers to back this up - but he's had multiple opportunities these last few days and he hasn't gotten tossed. He has to physically show this Team how dire and desperate the times have become, and if he gets the chance tonight - especially if Tampa wins today, I say he seizes it.
- The Red Sox still control their own fate, and while the Yankees can obviously help them make the playoffs, it's the Red Sox who ultimately control their destiny. They start winning actual games they get in. But they haven't been able to do that, and that's why they don't deserve to make the tournament.
- Sucktember won't die. If 2010 was the year of the Zombie Red Sox, 2011 is the year of the Shitty Sandwich Sox. The middle of the season is some great Boars Head meat, but it's been placed in-between two moldy pieces of bread - thus ruining the whole thing.