David Ortiz greets Mike Lowell after one of the six Boston jacks on the night. (AP Photo)
Last night was an utter statement made by the Boston Red Sox as they demolished the Tampa Bay
Devil Rays 13-5 in a laugher at the Trop. The Red Sox came into Tampa with a mission at hand, reclaim the AL East lead, and they sure looked up to the task last night. The game was over by the fifth inning as the Sox finally got to Scott Kazmir and made the Devil Rays #1 starter look lost, scared, and lonely on the mound. Mission Soxtober indeed.
It all started with a giant three run blast by the Red Sox emotional leader, David Ortiz, and didn't stop there. By the end of the night six homeruns blasted by the Sox became the most hit by the club since 2003. If this was a close game Dice-K would be a larger issue here, however he did get squeezed pretty hard early-on, and in the end, he got us the win. Come playoff time no start of his will have me feeling easy, but that's talk to have in a few weeks, right now the Sox are tied for first.
The Red Sox magic number is now any combination of six Twins losses or Red Sox wins, and with Josh Beckett toeing the rubber tonight, they may very well be in first place all by their lonesome come Wednesday. One game at a time I know, but it's hard to fight the inevitable turning of tide that's happening.
One question I have: Is September the 15th finally the date the Rays show the pressure of an inexperienced club that people have thought would happen months ago? I sure hope so, that's for sure.
What almost amazes me most is how much I've grown to dislike this team...and especially their "fans" which leads me to:
Top 10 Reason to not Like the Devil Rays or their Fans:
- The goddamn cowbells at the games. Seriously, you need cowbells to make it appear loud in your ballpark?
- Tropicaana Field is the worst stadium in baseball. Between the faux dirt and dead atmosphere the place just reeks of stale Florida consumerism.
- The catwalk. Please build a stadium that can handle fly balls. It's like playing a volleyball game at the middle school in your home town, totally unsuitable.
- Cheerleaders. You guys have figgen cheerleaders on top of your dugouts. The day this happens at Fenway is the day I stop going to games there. Mark my word.
- Joe Maddon. This guy is the first, and only, metro-hipster coaching in MLB. Someone should tell him which way to the "Death Cab for Cutie" concert. He bothers me, I can't help it.
- Of all the players you boo Coco Crisp the loudest. Seriosly, get over a hard slide.
- The Red Sox sell more tickets in Spring Training then the Devil Rays do during the regular season. (Totally fabricated but I bet it's closer then you think)
- You played "Sweet Caroliine" after a victory. I'll never forget that. I mean....you're the Tampa Bay &$%^$%^ Devil Rays...seriously.
- You took the word "Devil" out of your name, the only cool thing about your club.
- Your mascot disrespects Wally.